New Jersey Reckless Driving Lawyer
Reckless driving takes negligent driving to the next level. Because reckless drivers seriously endanger everyone with whom they share the road, the State of New Jersey takes reckless driving very seriously. If you’ve been injured by another driver’s recklessness, you need the professional legal counsel of an experienced New Jersey reckless driving lawyer on your side.
What is Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving refers to driving in a manner that you know (or should know) endangers others or is likely to endanger others. Reckless driving can take many forms, but it commonly involves wantonly ignoring traffic laws. Examples include:
- Speeding excessively
- Texting behind the wheel
- Changing lanes erratically
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Driving while impaired by alcohol and/or drugs
Any one of these infractions can lead to serious accidents and serious injuries.
Calculating Your Damages
If a reckless driver leaves you injured, you may face nearly insurmountable damages that can include:
- Medical Costs – The medical expenses associated with a serious injury can be exorbitant. Some types of injuries lead to chronic health conditions that you’ll need to deal with into your future. Further, some injuries can be permanently debilitating. The profound effects of a serious injury should never be discounted.
- Lost Wages – If you’ve been seriously injured by a reckless driver, you’re probably going to face lost wages. Depending upon the type and severity of your injuries, you could also face a decrease in your ability to earn into the future, and the course of your career could be altered. Because our careers are so critical to how we envision ourselves, such damages can be especially difficult.
- Pain and Suffering – In addition to the physical pain and suffering you endure, there is the emotional pain and suffering to consider. The trauma and terror associated with a violent accident can be immense, and it often takes a serious psychological toll. Some victims go on to experience increased anxiety, depression, irritability, and other PTSD-like symptoms.
All told, the physical, financial, and emotional damages associated with an accident caused by a reckless driver can be difficult to overstate.
Careless vs. Reckless Driving
In the State of New Jersey, careless driving is a lesser charge than is reckless driving. Careless driving refers to driving without the caution and/or attention necessary to driving safely, but it lacks any element of intent or foreknowledge. Although careless motorists drive dangerously, they aren’t necessarily aware of the fact that their driving could endanger others. Nevertheless, both careless and reckless drivers are often responsible for dangerous accidents that lead to serious injuries.
An Experienced New Jersey Reckless Driving Lawyer Can Help
If a reckless driver leaves you injured, the New Jersey reckless driving lawyers at Leonard Legal Group in Morristown and Franklin Lakes have the skill and resources to build your strongest case and to help you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled. We’re on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 973-984-1414 for more information today.