New Jersey Personal Injury Attorneys
Advocating for victims suffering with spinal cord injuries
Spinal cord injuries often have devastating, life changing effects. Someone with a spinal cord injury may never be able to walk again. Daily activities, such as brushing one’s teeth or showering, become impossible without assistance. When a spinal cord injury is caused by the negligence of someone else, that person must be held accountable. At Leonard Legal Group, our New Jersey personal injury attorneys work hard to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Primary causes of spinal cord injuries
There are dozens of ways that spinal cord injuries may occur. These include:
- Motor vehicle and truck accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Medical errors
- Boating accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- On-the-job injuries
- Slip and fall accidents
- Sporting accidents
- Diving accidents
Some spinal cord injuries may be treatable with surgery, physical therapy, or other remedies. However, many spinal cord injuries are so severe that the injured victim is permanently disabled.
Damages in a spinal cord injury claim
In a legal claim, the damages are the amounts of money the plaintiff seeks as compensation for an injury.
Damages in a spinal cord injury claim often include:
- Medical expenses, such as:
- Surgical bills
- Physical therapy bills
- Prescription bills
- Emergency room bills, and
- Other related expenses
- The cost of future medical care that may be necessary to continue treating the spinal cord injury
- The cost of alterations to one’s home, such as wheelchair ramps or stair lifts
- Medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, walkers, and other items
- Lost wages due to time missed from work, especially if the victim is no longer able to work
- The cost of hiring nurses or other individuals to assist the victim with daily activities
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
These are just some of the damages that may be claimed in a spinal cord injury case. Of course, the damages sought will vary significantly depending on the individual facts of the case.
Prevailing in a spinal cord injury case
A spinal cord injury claim is included under the umbrella of personal injury claims. To prevail in such a claim, the victim must show:
- The defendant owed a duty to the plaintiff,
- This duty was breached due to the defendant’s negligence, and
- Due to that negligence, the victim suffered damages
Each of these three elements must be proven for a victim to prevail in the claim. If the victim cannot provide objective evidence that supports all three elements, the claim may fail and the victim may not be entitled to any damages.
There are several different types of evidence that may be used in a spinal cord injury claim. These include:
- Medical records
- Accident reports
- Video footage
- Expert testimony
- Witness statements
Spinal cord injury claims often require the careful analysis of numerous types of evidence.
If you or a loved one suffered a spinal cord injury, call our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys today
At Leonard Legal Group, our New Jersey personal injury attorneys are experienced in spinal cord injury claims. We ensure that your interests—both current and future—are thoroughly protected. To schedule your free consultation with one of our attorneys, call our 24-hour call center at 973-984-1414 or contact us online.