Causes of Slip & Falls
While the name slip and fall may not be the most frightening-sounding term, slip and falls are often exceedingly dangerous accidents that lead to serious injuries. When you head out to do your weekly shopping or to meet friends at the local bistro, you likely aren’t overly concerned about your safety. When business owners and/or managers, however, fail to maintain their establishments in reasonably safe condition for the public, it can lead to dangerous slip and fall accidents. Any accident victims should contact an experienced New Jersey slip and fall attorney at the Leonard Legal Group today.
Slip and falls can be caused by any number of conditions, but there are several that are closely associated with these dangerous accidents:
- Outdoor areas – like parking lots and sidewalks – that are made slippery by inclement weather, such as black ice, rain, snow, sleet, or slush
- Outdoor areas that have a slippery buildup of leaves or other debris
- Outdoor areas that have uneven surfaces, such as cracks, buckling, potholes, and more
- Outdoor areas in which debris poses tripping hazards
- Entryways made slippery by debris or water tracked in from outside
- Uneven entryways or entryways that otherwise pose a tripping hazard
- Poorly lit walkways
- Flooring that is torn, frayed, bunched, ripped, or otherwise worn
- Grocery store aisles that are uneven or are made slippery by spills or by debris
- Restaurant flooring that is uneven or made slippery by spills and debris
- Physically intrusive displays
- Stairs that have inadequate railings, have slippery flooring, are littered with debris, or are poorly maintained
Businesses have a duty to maintain reasonably safe conditions for their patrons, which includes regular maintenance and daily upkeep. When they fail to do so, unsuspecting customers and visitors can get seriously hurt.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shares several enlightening statistics related to slip and fall accidents, including:
- One in every five falls leads to a serious injury, such as a broken bone or head injury.
- More than 800,000 people a year are hospitalized for injuries sustained in falls.
- The most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) is falling.
Your Slip & Fall Case
Property owners and managers owe a duty of care to their patrons that includes paying attention when dangerous situations arise or are likely to arise and to either rectify the problem in a timely manner or to adequately warn guests of the danger. In a slip and fall case, one of several conditions must apply, including:
- The owner or manager (or an employee) knew about the potential danger but did nothing to remedy it
- The owner or manager (or an employee) should have recognized the potential danger – as other reasonable people would have
- The owner or manager (or an employee) caused the dangerous situation but failed to adequately warn others or to remedy it
If You’ve Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident, Consult with an Experienced New Jersey Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If a property manager or business owner’s negligence leaves you injured in a slip and fall, attorney Scott G. Leonard at Leonard Legal Group – proudly serving the entire state of New Jersey with offices conveniently located in Morristown and Franklin Lakes – is here to help. Mr. Leonard is committed to helping you obtain the compensation necessary to achieve your fullest recovery. For more information, please contact or call us today.